Monday 16 November 2009

So Far, So Good.

Mum has now been home for three days and it seems to have been plain sailing. Of course, we've no idea how much the home care is costing yet, so all these reassuring visits could be worth a small fortune! The home care provision is means tested, so Mum will probably have to pay for the majority of the time carers are going in to see her. We should find out all this information tomorrow, as Claire from Social Services is coming to see us to do a full assessment. Claire is like my Fairy Godmother, as she waved the magic wand and got everything in place for Mum, at incredibly short notice.

The timing of the assessment is slightly problematic, as although Mum is still wobbly after such a long hospital stay so requires some input, she's still able to potter around at home. The worse may be yet to come once (if? - we are still waiting to see the oncologist) she starts chemo. Dad didn't have a great deal of the symptoms normally associated with chemotherapy the two times he had treatment, but I know Mum may not be as lucky. Then she'll really need the carers four times a day. Hopefully the assessment will take into account the fact that Mum's treatment has not been finalised. I am trying to think of diplomatic ways to feed this into the discussion without giving Mum the heebie-geebies about chemo.

I did another online shop for Mum yesterday, to be delivered later today. Even though I'm not going to be there, my brother is with her, but I am still slightly nervous that something could go wrong and Mum would say she wouldn't want her shopping doing this way in future. I have warned her that some things might not be in stock, so not to be disappointed if some things don't arrive today. It is so much easier to do the shopping for her this way, so I'm just hoping that she will agree to having deliveries at home in the future.

It is VERY strange thinking that I won't have to go to the hospital today (or tomorrow, or the next day!). When you do nine weeks' worth of hospital visiting, it sort of becomes a habit. It's a good job though, because the building work in the attic started this morning. They are knocking a wall back two feet into the eaves and then creating storage space before putting the wall up again. As I need to be at home, hopefully I won't be called to any emergencies with Mum this week though. Being two places at once is something I've not quite mastered yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment