Sunday 24 January 2010

Car Trouble

Things with Mum haven't been too bad this week, although I have sensed that she's been disappointed that I haven't offered to take her out. As brother was with her for a couple of days this week, he could have offered to take her. But wait a minute! He can't because his car is dead in the garage at their house? Surely not!

My moan of the week is focused on that damn car. As some of you will already know, I predicted that Dad's car would become the bane of my life after he died. It was either out in the elements on the drive, in the garage needing moving out or needing a run to keep it going, so my encouragement for Mum to give it to brother was based on the fact that he would run it himself and take it away. Of course that didn't happen. He wanted to keep it at Mum's house. Re-taxing the car didn't happen because the MOT had run out, so it's been in the garage at Mum's house since August. Of course it's now dead as a doornail. I know because I tried to start it the other day, so I could take it for the MOT to be done. Of course, it being my brother's car, it's my responsibility... Odd fact this, but as he's never driven it, he could never get it out of the garage. This is tricky for me at the best of times, so I wouldn't fancy an inexperienced driver who'd never actually driven this car backing it out without a bump.

The breakdown cover has been reinstated, so someone can come to start the car. The cover is in brother's name, so he needs to arrange the call out, but I need to be there to get it out of the garage, so at least brother can turn it over when he's there. Then I'll sort out the MOT, but then NO MORE! I will have no more to do with that bloody car!

This week is going to be tough. The solicitor is coming to talk to Mum about Dad's estate and her own will. Not conversations to be relished.

1 comment:

  1. How frustrating. Seems to have a cascading effect. Does the car break down company cover the car or the person? Apparently these do differ. If it was on the car then you could make the phone call for them to take the car to the garage or at least to get it started.
    Otherwise is there anyone who could help you start it up with jump leads. I appreciate this may not be an option depending which way the car is facing in the garage.
    I'm sure your brother is being a typical bloke. Sometimes it is much easier to do a task yourself than rely on the male species.
    Let me know what happens.
    Thanks also for your comments on my recent post. Debs x

    ReplyDelete