Thursday 18 February 2010

MRI Regardless

So much for my efforts on Monday to flag up Mum not wanting an MRI appointment and her needing a CT like her oncologist originally requested. Today she got an MRI appointment anyway. Mum was quite happy about it at first, as the information leaflet the sent her described it as a polo mint, but as I pointed out it's not the open-type polo mint like the CT scan she had before. Then she started to get panicky. Then I start the phone calls to the radiology appointments clerk, who told me to phone the oncologist, to the oncologist's secretary, who wasn't there so I had to talk to one of her very unhelpful colleagues instead. Question: Why do medical secretaries put their calls through to someone else rather than having an answerphone, if that someone else isn't prepared to even take a message? And with this stalemate, until office hours tomorrow.

Another question: Is this all rocket science? I mean, I did TRY to stop this happening, I did leave messages with the right people and I did check (yesterday) that the oncologist had got the message, but still Mum got the appointment that's now upset her. Yes, the oncology secretary did actually say that she hadn't seen the oncologist, but did tell me she had got Mum's notes and my message, so what can possibly be going wrong? It's a waste of my time, an MRI appointment and Mum's sanity. Mum has phoned four times in the space of about half and hour in a flap about whether or not the scan was or wasn't "the polo mint", and saying she would refuse the MRI. All this is what I tried to avoid and it's still gone wrong. It's safe to say I am cross and now have to wait until tomorrow until I can speak to the oncology secretary (or one of the unhelpful secretarial colleagues). It's frustrating to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment